Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Things I Kind of Wish Were Still Around: Volume Two

An event I still find myself referring to occurred in June 1996 while I and my eighth grade classmates returned from our "senior" class trip to Montreal, Quebec. The surrounding details remain vague -- I can't remember if the event happened before or after I was given a garlic flavored mint by my friend John in retaliation for dosing him with itching powder we'd acquired on the trip, or which of the five or so films we watched on the bus ride was airing (we'd probably already seen "Waterworld" and "Beaches" by that point, so it's might be "Powder" -- curious choices in hindsight for an audience of 14 year olds), but I'll remember the moment clear as day for as long as I live.

There I was, standing in line at the McDonald's, ready to order an Arch Deluxe meal with a medium diet coke. While hungry for the Arch Deluxe and the coke, I admit I wasn't terribly interested in the fries that came with the combo but thought I may as well get them, what with the savings accompanying the combo purchase. It was then that I overheard a classmate, Andrea Burns, mention that she was hungry, but only a little, perhaps enough for some fries. And so I leapt forward, offering that we pool our resources and get the Arch Deluxe combo, keeping the burger and soft drink for myself and passing along the fries to Andrea, while we both basked in the savings as this development.


In the years to follow, I've found myself recalling this event, pleased at how I took the initiative and used the combo as an opportunity to enjoy the savings and the unique taste of the Arch Deluxe. It's seeing it in the print and going over the details at length that I begin to wonder if the whole thing was really worth... I don't want to say 'bragging' about... but maybe bringing up as often as I have. I only reasonable excuse could be that I did so as a joke at first and my 'funny boasting' developed into sincere braggadocio. Still, whatever the case is, I've yet to have someone tell me the whole thing is dumb in all the years and all the times I've brought it up. And all things considered, I am pleased about the whole thing. About 400s words proud.

But anyway, what was my point? Oh yeah, the Arch Deluxe. I really liked that thing. I was pretty let down when they discontinued it. I mean, they kept the McDonald's pizzas around longer than the Arch Deluxe, and those made no sense. Pizza at a burger place? I guess the crust was pretty good.

I suppose since I'm a vegetarian it doesn't really matter that the Arch Deluxe isn't around anymore, but I really enjoyed it back in the day. Yeah. It was all right.

No comments:

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets