Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Y'know What's Funny?


I think I really enjoy Patrick Stewart in a way that has nothing to do with Star Trek. It's not that I've never seen an episode of it or that I didn't enjoy the show I suppose, but I don't think any of my fondness for the man has anything to do with that. Curiously I'm probably more indifferent than anything when it comes Star Trek (or rather Star Trek: The Next Generation -- figured I ought to be clear on that one since there's a half dozen different 'Treks out there). I say curiously since I can usually get into stuff like that with all of the mythology and continuity and all that, but when I see it's on TV I try to see what's going on, but I usually wind up flipping the channel within minutes. Might have something to do with the whole "reset button" they hit at the end of every show preventing change and development, might have something to do with the fact I already saw most of the episodes back when I was 10. Or alternately, maybe it just seems like I've seen every show.

Anyway, what was my point before I started ripping on Star Trek: The Next Generation? Yeah, so I caught a rerun of Extras the other day, and it was the episode with Patrick Stewart and the bit where he describes the script he'd written. Check out the clip to see what I'm talking about -- it was probably my favorite bit of the whole run of the show. Besides that, the man was the perfect Professor X (and he reprised the role in several X-Men video games, which is pretty neat too), and he's doing good work on American Dad, even if I enjoyed his guest shot on Family Guy with the Star Trek cast more than anything I've seen him do on that show. But probably better than either of those was his guest shot on the Simpsons back in the day, where he played the Stonecutters Number One. Just thinking of him saying stuff like "Let's all get drunk and play ping pong", "Settle down, Moe", and "The "paddling of the swollen ass"... with paddles", makes me chuckle.


So yeah, the man's likability with me curiously has nothing to do with the career defining role that put him on the map, but rather his other best know genre role and a series of animated voice-overs that've played off his distinguished nature and voice.

Hm. When I realized this would make adequate fodder for a blog post I guess I figured I'd have more to say about that, or at least that the little I would have to say would be slightly more interesting. At least the clips were funny, I guess.

No comments:

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets