Sunday, February 24, 2008

Things That Just Occurred to Me


There's this commercial that's been airing for a little while -- couldn't say how long, but probably not more than a month or two -- with a bunch of twenty and thirty-somethings singing on buses and streets and whatever. Honestly, I rarely pay attention to commercials. Usually I read something or am on the computer during them, but I still hear them and usually when I see them I'm surprised by the product. So I finally see what this commercial is for, and it's for Smarties. For folks living outside Canada (because, as I've just learned, Smarties are only sold here), Smarties are a soft shell, colorful candy treat, not unlike M & Ms.

Which brought me to my realization: Why do they make Smarties when M & Ms are so much better?
It's not like anyone could possibly have an attachment to the Smarties product. They're smaller than M & Ms, which, by the way, come in a variety of different flavors too. You couldn't fit a nut inside a Smartie if you tried. And taste-wise they're really quite inferior to M & Ms, which have a harder candy shell, pack more chocolate, and top it off with their logo. Plus Smarties has had some of the most asinine advertising campaigns I've ever seen. "When you eat your Smarties, do you eat the red ones last?" -- what does that even mean? Compare that and the recent campaign that really has nothing to do with a soft-shell candy until the logo comes up at the end of the ad to the long-running M & Ms voiced by Billy West and J K Simmons and you come up woefully short.

Don't know why it took me so long to come to this realization, but it seems like it's been a long time coming. If you actually like Smarties, sorry if I disagree with you. But I honestly doubt anyone likes Smarties enough to write in to argue otherwise.

No comments:

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets