Thursday, July 14, 2005

Why I Like San Diego

The first script I ever wrote to completion, TDSA - The Teenaged Defending Squad of America, was set in San Diego. Why, I don't know. I guess I liked the fact that it was a big city, but not so big, like say a Los Angeles or a San Francisco. I wanted a city that would accomadate superhero types, but also be small enough that I could easily set my script there at a minimum of research. Like most writers, I avoid research when possible, but I did actually look into San Diego quite a bit, although most of the research was cut from the final draft. I even placed a call to a San Diego info center for street names, something I've completely forgotten about and can't believe I actually did.


But anyway, the San Diego comicon is going on right now, the biggest, greatest comicon in North America, and the mecca at which the top publishers reveal their plans for the year and genre video game companies and film studios hock their wares. I haven't been, but I wish I could go, especially since the JLU creative team will be there: Bruce Timm, Dwayne McDuffie, James Tucker, Shaun McLaughlin, and Matt Wayne. Plus Paul Dini, prolific DCAU writer is signing in other areas. I'd LOVE to actually be able to meet Messers. Timm and McDuffie, and maybe even get a sketch from B.T, but that'll have to wait until I... have, uh... money.


Ahem.


Still sounds cool. Can't wait to see what gets unveiled.

No comments:

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets